Why Does Fair Trade Cotton Seems Unpopular?

20170306 cotton

Caring about our health and food safety, we ‘eat’ organic tomatoes and ‘drink’ organic soya milk. What about ‘Clothing’? Skin as our largest organ, how good do you treat it? Try to check if you have any “organic” produced clothes in your wardrobe…

You may find it difficult to find organic clothing in your wardrobe. Indeed, the net surfaces of cotton farmland is around 35 million hectare and contribute 2.4% of the total agricultural farmlands globally. However, only 1% of the cotton was produced in an Organic production. The remaining 99% cotton yet it accounts for 24% of the world’s insecticide. You could imagine how many chemicals of your clothing? More important, the farmers and workers have to exposure to these chemicals daily in the field. Thus, it may affect their health in long term.

In 2014, 65% of Fairtrade certified cotton was organically produced. Although ‘Fair Trade’ does not fully equals to ‘Organic’, Fairtrade International prohibits the usage of poison chemicals and fertilizer by the farmers. Hence, the Fair Trade farmer concern and understood the importance of taking a balance between productivity and the environmental protection. There are 54,700 farmers who are certified by Fairtrade International around the world which comes from 7 countries, including India, Senegal and Burkina Faso etc. The certified farmers sold 19,300 tons of cotton in Fairtrade in the year 2013-14, over millions of funds generated as Fairtrade Social Premium which will enable them to reinvested in community  facilities which  and improving the environment and community health.